Sunday, March 21, 2010

March 21, 2010 (1 week, 1 Day)

I think there is nothing scarier than looking at your phone and seeing that you missed a call from the NICU. That happened yesterday morning. My heart dropped into my stomach. Luckily, the first thing from the Dr on the message was "everything is fine, Cooper is wonderful". They just needed to update us on some stuff that happened overnight and get our permission for a treatment.

Cooper had another good day. His blood pressure sometimes take a dip, but they think that is due to his mask more than anything. He doesn't like it, and will pull at it, so it gets shifted. There are times he has to be "reminded" to breathe, but usually he self-regulates, which is excellent.

He had another ultrasound of his heart yesterday, and the medicine seems to be working. There was still an opening in his heart, but it was much smaller. The Dr. said that the medicine was still cycling through his system, so it would probably close even more. They didn't see a reason to give another dose. His nurse told us last night that while she could still hear the murmur it was very small. Excellent news!





Now that he is finished with the medication, they can resume his feedings. Speaking of feedings, I just have to brag about my "stash"....



Pumping sucks. There's no other way to say it. I was having a hard time at first being motivated to do it, but I know right now it's the best thing for him. And, I don't think we have to worry about him having enough once he can really start eating!

Mark and I both were able to hold him last night. This was the first time Mark held him. He was nervous and excited at the same time.


Of course, they "talked" about football the entire time.....





I got to change his diaper last night! He's so little it was very nerve wracking. Mark said "the diaper weighs more than he does".



The nurses are really wonderful about explaining everything to us and keeping us involved when we are there. I think it's going to make the transition to home much easier when that time comes.


He loves sleeping on his belly, like his mom.


5 comments:

  1. You don't know me. I have been following your story from The Bump. I just wanted to tell you, Thank you for sharing your sweet son with us all. I look forward to your updates. I am so glad he is doing so good. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Go Super Cooper!!
    Deltadawn8

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, this is Bandia from the bump. Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us, as well as the pictures. I am so glad to hear that the medication is working, and that he is doing so well! He truly is a beautiful little boy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He looks wonderful - and how great that you and your husband have both held him now!

    I am very impressed by your stash - Coop will be out of the NICU in no time with so much mommy juice to help him get big and strong!

    -Lindsey (LCB)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh he is just so adorable, Jenn! I love love love that he is doing so well. It makes my heart smile =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. so glad to hear that you're all doing so well and that he's fighting every step of the way! He really is a super hero!! <3 ya! Shanmoyer

    ReplyDelete